Transit Police say a 62-year-old woman shot in the back during Monday’s gunplay at busy Forest Hills Station will survive.
“For that, we are truly thankful,” wrote Lt. Richard Sullivan in an email to Jamaica Plain News.
The woman hit in the back isn’t believed to have been a target of the gunfire. Nor was a younger woman who was grazed in the back of the head when someone fired a series of shots from the 39 Bus exit back into the station at 2 p.m. Monday.
‘Senseless Act of Violence’
Transit Police have stepped up patrols.
“We have increased our uniform presence at Forest Hills T station and are working collaboratively with our partners to prevent another outrageous and senseless act of violence,” Sullivan wrote.
Transit Police have made two arrests, but list the persons in custody only as 18-year-olds from Boston. They are not yet releasing the names.
“The investigation is still active,” Sullivan wrote, “and we do not want to jeopardize it in any way. We believe the incident may have been gang related.”
Saw His Friend Bleeding
Erik Bornermann, a friend of the victim who suffered the graze wound, told Jamaica Plain News she was bleeding from the back of her head. She ran to Asticou Road after the incident.
Transit Police said that woman went to the E-13 Boston Police station showing a non life-threatening graze wound to the head. Transit Police do not believe at this time she was the intended victim.
Police at first reported not having heard of other victims. But a 62-year-old woman complained of back pain, bringing Emergency Medical Technicians to Forest Hills Station. It turns out the woman had been shot, and her injuries were initially considered life-threatening.
A reporter for Jamaica Plain News was outside the station when he heard several loud bangs, which might have been gunshots. Teenagers ran from the scene.
Transit Police said a man fired the shots from the station exit leading toward the 39 Bus. Surveillance cameras, which festoon Forest Hills and other T stations, caught part of the incident, Transit Police reported.
“We take the safety and security of all MBTA patrons with the utmost seriousness,” Sullivan wrote. “It is our primary mission and we will continue to take all measures necessary in maintaining a safe system.”