Forest Hills Public Works Yard Closes

Trucks and equipment moving from the old Forest Hills public works yard

Richard Heath

Trucks and equipment moving from the old Forest Hills public works yard

Among the ripple effects of the new Casey Arborway is the closing of the Public Works Lighting Division Yard at Forest Hills Street. Bucket trucks, pick up trucks, lampposts, lightpole bases, huge wooden wheels of wire and other pieces of equipment have been moved to new buildings on Canterbury Lane off Morton Street.

Opened in 1955, the yard was relocated from South Street where the Farnsworth House is today.  The new Forest Hills public works yard replaced the Forest Hills stables that rented horses for rides on the Franklin Park bridle paths for a half century.

The Forest Hills Public Works Yard is slowly being emptied this month

Richard Heath

The Forest Hills Public Works Yard is slowly being emptied this month.

Here’s a map of what the area would look like by the end of Casey Arborway construction (expected to be done by Sept. 30, 2016).

Detail of Casey Arborway final plan

Massachusetts Department of Transportation

Detail of Casey Arborway final plan

You can compare that with this view from Google Earth of the pre-construction landscape:

Google Earth view of area around DPW yard (before Casey Arborway project)

Google.com

Google Earth view of area around DPW yard (before Casey Arborway project)

The yard is moving to the new lighting division yard on Canterbury Lane off Morton Street. The site was originally built as satillite parking for the Franklin Park Zoo in 1989/

The yard is moving to the new lighting division yard on Canterbury Lane off Morton Street. The site was originally built as satillite parking for the Franklin Park Zoo in 1989.

See all our Casey Overpass/Casey Arborway coverage here.