Cigarette Thrown in Planter Sparks Child Street Blaze

Fire at 95 Child St., Saturday, May 30, 2015.

Susanna Crampton

Fire at 95 Child St., Saturday, May 30, 2015.

UPDATE: We’ve added new details from the Boston Fire Department and updated the headline of this item.

~~~~~

A quick-acting JP resident took photos of flames bursting out the roof of a Child Street home.

Susanna Crampton sent along these photos of a blaze at 95 Child St. She said it was scary how fast it flamed up. She said the Boston Fire Department arrived quickly.

Steve MacDonald of the Boston Fire Department said the fire was reported via a 911 call at 4:10 p.m. on Saturday. Though flames engulfed the roof, it was a one-alarm fire. The blaze did an estimated $100,000 damage to the three-family home.

The fire started from someone disposing of a cigarette in a planter on a roof deck, MacDonald said. There were no injuries. However, three families totaling seven persons have been displaced. Some of them are receiving help from the Red Cross.

Fire at 95 Child St., Saturday, May 30, 2015.

Susanna Crampton

Fire at 95 Child St., Saturday, May 30, 2015.