Insuring Your Home Based Business

Print More

DavidMartynHunt / / CC BY

According to, 52% of all small businesses are home-based. In today’s technologically inclined world, this isn’t a surprise. Those that work from home can avoid a long commute, making a home based business attractive to many workers.


If you’re thinking about starting your own work-from-home business, or you want to work from a company that will allow you to telecommute, first consider these questions and helpful hints from

  • How much foot traffic will you have?
  • How much space do you have?
  • How will your family adjust to the office?
  • Can you keep your business and personal life separate?
  • Think about the environment in which you’ll be working.
  • Don’t use your home address for your business cards, stationary, collaterals, etc.
  • Without a storefront, your image is all you have.
  • Don’t skimp on a dedicated phone line.
  • Make sure that you can close out the noise of your household.
  • Answer the phone professionally.
  • Get out of the house every day, even if it is just to get the mail or to take a brisk walk.
  • Stay involved in outside meetings and activities.

If you do decide to run a business from the comfort of your own home, you need to make sure that you are properly protected, and your home insurance isn’t enough to cover you on its own! Thankfully, the insurance experts at Vargas and Vargas Insurance Agency can help you to make sure that your home based business has all the insurance coverage that it needs.
You Have Three Basic Insurance Options:
A Homeowner’s Policy Endorsement
Some insurance providers will allow you to add an endorsement to your home insurance policy that will cover your home based business. You may also want to inquire about adding on extra homeowners liability coverage, just in case a client or delivery person is injured on your property.
An In-Home Business Endorsement
If you need a little more protection than a simple homeowner’s policy endorsement, a business endorsement (also known as an “in home business policy” could be right for you. This policy provides extra coverage, without the need of a full-blown business insurance policy.
A Business Owner’s Policy
If you need the most comprehensive insurance possible for a small business, a Business Owner’s Policy is what you’re looking for. Also called a BOP, this insurance coverage has much of the same protection offered by the first two options, but with more coverage.
So between getting your new at-home business set up on Facebook and Pinterest, give your Vargas and Vargas Insurance agent a call at 617-298-0655. They will help you determine how to best go about making sure that your business is properly insured, whether with your existing home insurance policy or by creating you a new business insurance policy.
Photo credit: DavidMartynHunt / / CC BY