UPDATED: New Details Emerge in Forest Hills Station Shooting

Print More
Emergency crews on Asticou Road on Monday, Jan. 26, 2015.

Chris Helms

Emergency crews on Asticou Road on Monday, Jan. 26, 2015.

Emergency crews on Asticou Road on Monday, Jan. 26, 2015.

Chris Helms

Emergency crews on Asticou Road on Monday, Jan. 26, 2015.

The 18-year-old men Transit Police arrested in Monday's "senseless act of violence" at Forest Hills Station that left two bystanders wounded were in court Thursday.

Prosecutors on Thursday morning reported that Reginald Price of Jamaica Plain and Nicholas Bootman of Dorchester were charged with armed assault with intent to murder. However by Thursday afternoon, a more specific set of charges had been leveled: Assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon on a person over age 60, assault and battery on a person over age 60 causing serious bodily injury, unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, carrying a loaded firearm and discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a building.

Although police collared the pair on Monday, police withheld their names until the two were in court Thursday.

The judge put Price's bail at $50,000 while Bootman's was set at $25,000. However, the judge revoked Bootman's bail on an unrelated juvenile court case, according to the Suffolk County District Attorney's Office.

On Monday, several shots were fired from the 39 Bus exit back into the busy station around 2 p.m. A 24-year-old woman was grazed in the back of the head by one of the rounds. A 62-year-old woman initially did not realize she'd been shot until medics started treating her for back pain. The older woman's injuries were life-threatening, though Transit Police say she will survive. Authorities said they believe neither woman was the target of the gunfire.

Prosecutors said two men are seen on surveillance cameras enter the station and "interact" with three other males. Prosecutors say a camera shows Price turn, with a gun in his hand, and shoot at them. Then the two men, allegedly Price and Bootman, run in the direction of South Street.

Boston Police arrested Price and Bootman at St. Rose and South, prosecutors said.

"None of the intended targets was struck," District Attorney Dan Conley said in a statement. "Instead, two people wholly unrelated to this conflict suffered gunshot wounds that could have killed them. Fortunately, it appears that both will survive, and a combination of good cameras and great police work resulted in the defendants' arrests before anyone else was injured."

Lt. Richard Sullivan of the Transit Police said patrols had been stepped up to prevent another "outrageous and senseless act of violence" at the station.

The 24-year-old ran from the station to Asticou Road. A friend of hers told Jamaica Plain News he saw her and the blood on the back of her head.

[Editor's note: We've updated this item with new details from the prosecutor's office.]