Humans and their pets must stay out of Jamaica Pond while health officials investigate a possible bloom of toxic algae. That's the order that came down Monday from the city's Public Health Commission.
Residents began noticing Monday that the boathouse was closed. The Health Commission urges residents to keep away from the water, even on the shore.
The following activities are prohibited until further notice:
- Any recreational activity in or on the water
- Allowing dogs to swim in or drink Pond water
Possible effects of contact range from eye irritation to, in extreme cases, organ damage and even death, the Health Commission wrote in their advisory.
If you or your children do come in contact with the algae, officials say to wash it off right away.
Dogs are prone to eat pond scum or get it on their fur and lick it off. Officials say to watch dogs who have become in contact with the algae for vomiting, staggering, drooling and convulsions.
Such blooms are a recurrent feature of Jamaica Pond. For instance, back in 2006, The Gazette covered one bloom that turned out not to be dangerous.
Please click through to the Public Health Commission's website for more on this potentially dangerous algae bloom.