Dorchester Man Arrested, Charged with Murder Outside 7-Eleven in JP

Print More

Boston Police on Thursday arrested a 28-year-old Dorchester man on first-degree murder charges stemming from the Aug. 27 slaying of Jeffrey Kelly outside the 7-Eleven convenience store in Jamaica Plain -- reportedly in violation of parole conditions that included staying out of JP.

According to, on Dec. 22, members of the Boston Police Fugitive Apprehension Unit placed Amos Carrasquillo under arrest. The Suffolk County District Attorney's office reports that he was indicted by the Suffolk County Grand Jury on charges of first-degree murder and unlawful possession of a firearm. He is expected to be arraigned today in Suffolk Superior Court related to his arrest on a federal probation warrant stemming from an unrelated case.

“[The] arrest, along with the apprehension of three murder suspects last week, illustrate the Boston Police Department’s dedication to bringing these suspects to justice," said Boston Police Commissioner William Evans. "We understand the importance of finding and prosecuting suspects quickly, and we hope it can bring some amount of closure and peace for the victim’s loved ones.”

At about 3:33 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 27, officers responded to a call for a person shot in the area of 454 Centre St. in JP and located a male victim suffering from apparent gunshot wounds outside the 7-Eleven at the intersection of Centre Street and South Huntington Avenue. The vicim, later identified as 28-year-old Jeffrey Kelly of Boston, was transported to an area hospital and pronounced dead.

Kelly’s death was the second in recent years outside the 7-Eleven. In 2011, Kenny Soto, 19, was stabbed outside the convenience store. A jury later convicted Hector Soto, no relation, of his murder.

Universal Hub reports that Carrasquillo had been arrested at Bromley-Heath in 2006, and when confronted by officers, he allegedly aimed a gun at one, who shot him in the arm and hip. The following year, he was sentenced to 11 years in federal prison for selling cocaine. He was released in July 2013, but ended up back in court last October for parole violations, which allegedly included doing drugs, associating with known criminals and showing up in Jamaica Plain. The judge ordered him back to federal prison for 90 days. Visit Universal Hub for more.