The Boston Police Department is holding a one-day gun buyback program on Saturday with no questions asked. For anyone who gives a gun they will receive a $100 gift card to Target.
There will be six drop off locations across the city from 10 am to 4 pm. The Piece for Peace program will also be a day of remembrance for the victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting that happened on Dec. 14, 2012.
The program is aimed to take guns off Boston's streets and has been organized by the BPD, in collaboration with Mass General Hospital for Children and the Massachusetts General Physicians Organization, according to BPDnews.com.
The program allows for people to anonymously get rid of firearms without worriment of being charged with illegal possession of a weapon. And while individuals will not be charged with illegal possession of a weapon, they are not being granted amnesty from being charged with any other crime committed while in possession with the weapon.
"This One Day Buy Back is a unique event in that it strengthens the bridge between the city, public safety, and the health community around gun violence. Street violence and gun suicides are issues that touch all facets of the community and are a shared responsibility,” said BPD Commissioner William Gross. “By participating in this regional buy back, we provide an opportunity for family members to get guns out of their houses, and off the streets, with no questions asked. We are all playing an important role in this fight against gun violence. I've said it before, but one gun off the street is one gun out of the hands of a kid in our community and possibly one life saved."
Individuals dropping off guns must follow the following procedures provided by the Boston Police Department:
- Gun must be delivered unloaded
- Gun must be put in a clear plastic bag, and put into another container (gym bag, backpack etc.)
- If depositing ammunition in addition to a gun, ammunition must be delivered in a separate bag.
- If transporting the gun by car, gun must be transported in the trunk of the vehicle.
- After the gun is screened by officers, and determined to be a working firearm, a gift card will be given.
- Rifles and shotguns will be accepted, however, no incentive will be issued or provided.
The drop off locations are:
- Central Assembly of God (50 Bennington St.)
- St. Peters Church (278 Bowdoin St.)
- Garfield Development (215-217 Garfield Ave.)
- Salvation Army (1500 Washington St.)
- McCormack Housing Development (345 Old Colony Ave.)
- Greater Love Tabernacle Church (101 Nightingale St.)