One Person Dead After Tense Stand-off on Wyman Street

Print More

One man is dead after a tense stand-off on Saturday night at a bed and breakfast on Wyman Street.

At this time it is not clear whether the man was killed by police, or if he took his own life, as it is an active investigation, said Boston Police Commissioner William Gross at the scene on Saturday night.

BPD responded to a report of a domestic incident at 21 Wyman Street around 10:01 pm, said Gross. Upon arrival, police saw a man outside of the location, who ran into the building and fired a handgun at police. It is not known at this time what connection, if any, the man had to the location.

Gross said the location is an AirBnB, which had guests staying at it. The Wyman Bed & Breakfast, which uses an address of 23 Wyman St., has a listed address of 21-23 Wyman St., according to the city's Assessing Department.

One officer did fire their weapon, but was not wearing a body camera, said Gross. It is being determined whether police were wearing body cameras.

SWAT was called to the location, and 15 to 20 people, including children, were eventually evacuated safely from the scene. Residents of the property next door were also evacuated. Evacuees were transported to BPD Headquarters to provide statements, reported, which reported they were also provided a different place to stay.

Police blocked off the area and asked people to stay away from the area.

After setting up a perimeter, police attempted to negotiate with the suspect, but were not successful, said Gross. At one point the suspect appeared at the front window, smashing it and brandishing a weapon at police.

"Being in fear of not only the lives of residents in that building and in the neighborhood and in the fear of their own lives, an officer discharged his department issued firearm in the direction of that male suspect," said Gross.

After a lengthy time of unsuccessful negotiations police made a tactical decision to enter the property. Upon entry police found other guests of the inn and evacuated them.

While searching the property police found an adult male suffering from a fatal wound, said Gross. Two guns were recovered from the scene.

No one else was injured during the standoff.

The Suffolk County District Attorney's office is now conducting the investigation, which is protocol for a shooting involving police.