- This event has passed.
FREE Doula Information Night
September 23, 2014 @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pmFree
PART I: WHAT IS A DOULA? DO I NEED A DOULA? | 6:00-7:00PM
Join other new and expectant parents for a night of FREE education on what a doula is, what a doula does, and how a doulaʼs presence can benefit your birth and help you adjust to life at home with your little one!
PART II: MEET THE DOULAS | 7:00-8:00PM
Doulas from in the Greater Boston Area will be on hand to answer your questions, offer personalized referrals, and represent some of the wonderful variety of personalities, ages, backgrounds, and skills you can find in a birth or postpartum doula. Expectant parents will have time to meet individual doulas and conduct brief interviews with them.
We will answer many common questions birth and postpartum doula services, such as:
- What does a doula do?
- What do services usually entail?
- Why would I want to hire a doula?
- How would a doula work with my partner?
- How would I go about finding the right doula?
Studies* have shown many benefits of working with a doula, including:
- Shorter labors
- Fewer requests for epidurals
- Less frequent use of forceps or vacuum
- Increased confidence in birth partners
- Fewer cesareans [OR Lower cesarean rate]
- Increased success with breastfeeding
- More time to bond with your baby
- An easier transition into parenthood
The Jamaica Plain News calendar is open to all local organizations and businesses.
We examine all submissions after they go live. Here’s the form to add your event. Please be sure to include contact information so we can reach you in case there’s a problem!