Vacant Building Razed to Make Room for Renovation of State Laboratory
A building that's been vacant for seven years was recently razed to make way for a renovation of the state laboratory abutting the Arnold Arboretum. The Biologics Building (307 South St.) was constructed in 1904, had additions in 1926 and 1951, and was used for the production of diphtheria antitoxin and animal vaccines as a joint venture between Harvard University and the state. The building continued to be used for the manufacture of vaccines until 2013, when MassBiologics, a division of the University of Massachusetts Medical School, moved to a newly built campus in Mattapan. MassBiologics develops and manufactures vaccines and other biologic products. Since 2013, the building remained unoccupied and has now been demolished.