Money isn't everything. But it's something. Especially when it comes to political campaigns. Candidates can reach a broader audience by using their campaign funds to repeatedly advertise, host events and more. So who's got the most money in the bank among the five Suffolk County District Attorney candidates?
A Dorchester man accused of shooting and killing two innocent bystanders on May 4th was arraigned on Monday and held without bail. Wilvin Guity, 28, was charged with two counts of murder and one count of unlawful possession of a firearm at Roxbury Municipal Court on Monday. Guity was allegedly recorded minutes before the shooting via surveillance cameras exiting the rear passenger's door of a white Ford Fusion near Chestnut Avenue while wearing a gray hoodie and distinctive patterned sneakers, according to the Suffolk County District Attorney's office. Boston Police homicide detectives would later identify Guity, and he was captured on video walking into the Mildred C. Hailey Apartments by 277 Centre St., and open fire on a group of approximately 15 people in a Centre Street park, said prosecutors. He allegedly then ran back towards Chestnut Avenue and got back into the Ford Fusion.
Five candidates have announced they're aiming to replace outgoing Suffolk County District Attorney Dan Conley this November. On April 9th, come hear the candidates at forum being held at English High School. The forum is being hosted by the Boston Chapter of the NAACP and JP Progressives at English High School from 7 to 8:30 pm. Click here to register to attend this free event. The community is invited to submit questions for the forum's moderator by going to www.slido.com and choosing CODE #N071.
After 16 years as the Suffolk County District Attorney, Dan Conley is choosing to not seek reelection. He intends to finish out the remainder of his term. Conley, a West Roxbury resident, was a Boston City Councilor before being appointed as Suffolk Country District Attorney in February 2002 to replace Ralph Martin II. He was then elected to the position later that year in November. Conley unsuccessfully ran for mayor in 2013 after Mayor Thomas Menino announced he wasn't seeking reelection.
UPDATE: Charles Reddicks has been sentenced to life in prison. ~~~
Going on four years ago, police swarmed Hyde Park Avenue near Ukraine Way as they investigated what turned out to be the killing of Mariano Malave, 25. On Friday, a Dorchester man is scheduled to be sentenced in the shooting, which stemmed from a marijuana buy gone bad. A jury convicted Charles Reddicks, now 21, of second-degree murder on Thursday, according to the the office of Suffolk County District Attorney Dan Conley. Reddicks was 18 on April 27, 2012, when he went to Malave's apartment at 132 Hyde Park Ave.
The Suffolk County District Attorney announced that a Jamaica Plain man has been charged in a Hyde Park burglary spree. Prosecutors charged Christopher Fisher, 49, with four counts of breaking and entering. They say the man has a 14-page record and more than 20 previous convictions. He allegedly goes by at least three aliases. Fisher, the DA's office said, also has an open case on a previous break-in.
A former English High School dean alleged to have been running a drug ring pleaded not guilty Wednesday to shooting a student in the head. Prosecutors say Shaun Harrison, 55, tried to execute a 17-year-old whose pot sales had been lagging. Harrison, most recently dean of students at English, worked at several Boston Public Schools since 2010, according to the Globe. The attempted murder charge led Mayor Marty Walsh to probe Harrison's job history with the schools. That review found that though established protocols were followed with him, tougher standards need to be put in place.
Prosecutors say the men behind the brazen daytime murder of a snow shoveling crew member on Centre Street organized the hit via text message. On Monday, the men charged in the Feb. 11 murder of 21-year-old Kenny Lamour both pleaded not guilty. A judge denied bail to Donte Henley, 24, of South Boston and Josiah Zachery, 18, of Hyde Park, according to the office of Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel Conley. During Monday's arraignment, prosecutors argued that Lamour and Henley were working on a snow shoveling detail organized by Roca Inc. despite that organization's knowledge that the two were members of rival gangs.
Joanna Leigh, 41, pleaded not guilty to five counts of larceny and one count of making a false claim to a government agency on Monday. Prosecutors allege the Jamaica Plain woman raked in nearly $40,000 in cash and services by faking injury in the Boston Marathon bombings. The judge released Leigh without bail, but ordered her to give up her passport, be booked by Boston Police and not travel out of the region without telling the court. Last week she told the Globe the charges are a result of her public criticism of the One Fund. Leigh claims to have run toward the scene after hearing the first bomb, but investigators say she was actually blocks away from the explosions.
A judge set bail at $20,000 for a South End man accused of a 2010 child rape. The alleged incident took place in an Egleston Square residence. Boston Police arrested Jose Rodriguez, 35, on March 11. He was arraigned the next day on the rape charge as well as one of indecent assault and battery on a child, according to Jake Wark of the Suffolk County District Attorney's office. Prosecutors are withholding the exact location of the alleged sexual assault to protect the girl's identity.