- This event has passed.
The ABC’s of Handling Garnishments and Abandoned Wages: What Payroll Professionals Need to Know in 2018
August 1 @ 2:00 pm - 3:30 pm$159 – $199
The Consumer Credit Protection Act is designed to ensure fair and proper treatment of people with debts. Garnishment orders include everything from a creditor debt to child support. But what if your employee has more than one garnishment order or declares bankruptcy because they are overwhelmed by their situation? How does the employer handle the situation? How do the garnishment orders get prioritized? What if the amount adds up to more than the employee can bear? What are the limits on take home pay and disposable earnings? What if an ex-employee fails to cash their paycheck and you have lost touch with them?
WHY SHOULD YOU ATTEND
Join Miles Hutchinson, CPA, CGMA to quickly ramp up on this complex law. Learn how to prioritize all the garnishments against your employee’s wages. Find out how the states upset the priority rules in certain situations and how to keep track of the differences. Learn about valuable resources to help you track garnishments and communicate with the courts while helping your employee avoid living out of their car.
- What is a garnishment?
- Participate in a review and prioritization of the different types of garnishments
- When must companies process garnishment orders and may they terminate an employee for these problems
- Useful tables, charts and other key references for applying the withholding rules and limitations
- Determining disposable earnings and take home pay
- Why are there different bases for calculating different garnishments
- How to prioritize multiple garnishment orders served on the same employee – the rules may surprise you
- Exceptions to withholding – how to communicate with the source of the garnishment order
- What are the proper procedures for dealing with unclaimed or abandoned wages
Garnishments are a real thorn in the side. They take excessive amounts of time to process and execute accurately. The boss just wants to fire the employee who loses control of their finances for wasting precious company resources. But we can’t do that…or can we? Join us to learn just what the obligations and limits are on how many garnishments your employer is required to manage for a single employee and how to process them quickly and efficiently. Also get a handle on wage garnishment lawsand how to communicate efficiently with the courts and collection agencies.
WHO WILL BENEFIT
- Payroll Managers
- HR Managers
- Tax Managers
- Information Reporting Officers
- Compliance Officers
- Compliance Managers
- Accounting Managers
- Risk Managers
For more detail please click on this below link:
Toll Free: +1-888-300-8494
The Jamaica Plain News calendar is open to all local organizations and businesses.
Not-for-profits post their events for free.
We ask businesses to pay $5 per event, but waive that fee as a benefit for advertisers.
We examine all submissions after they go live. Here's the form to add your event. Please be sure to include contact information so we can reach you in case there's a problem!
Please go ahead and submit your event — if you are a business, we will be in touch about your $5 fee. Or you can go ahead and pay your $5 fee via PayPal.