Man Acquitted in Pawlowski Killing; Another Defendant Remains Under Investigation

On Thursday, a jury cleared one man of murdering Brenda Pawlowski on Kenney Street in 2011. But the investigation continues for the other man charged with her killing.

The 49-year-old mother of three was shot in the head on Feb. 8, 2011 in the backyard of 21 Kenney St., according to a Globe file story.

On Thursday, after about eight days of court testimony and two days of jury deliberations, Larry Pack, 32, of Mattapan, was found not guilty of her murder, the Suffolk County District Attorney’s office reported. However, Pack was found guilty of unlawful possession of a handgun that matched the one used in the slaying.

Pack was also convicted of having a silencer for the gun, possession of cocaine and heroin with intent to distribute and possessing a firearm in commission of a felony, the District Attorney’s office said.

The other man charged in the murder, Christopher Howard, has not been brought to trial.

“By late last year, police and prosecutors agreed that Howard’s role in the homicide warranted further investigation before being put to a jury,” wrote Jake Wark, press secretary for District Attorney Dan Conley. “That investigation is still open.”

At Pack’s trial, prosecutors argued that cell phone records linked Pack to Pawlowski in the hours before she was killed and that cell tower data put him near the shooting. Witnesses connected Pack to the killing, prosecutors said, and experts said there was a “reasonable degree of ballistic certainty” that the gun found in Pack’s home was used to shoot Pawlowski. Jurors, however, did not find him guilty of the murder.

Pack’s sentencing is scheduled for Friday. He faces at least five years for the gun and as many as 15 as an armed career criminal, prosecutors said.

Pack’s attorney, Michael Doolin, said the jury got it right.

“I’m very grateful for the hard work the jury put in finding Mr. Pack not guilty of murder,” Doolin said.