It's time for another update about the Casey Arborway Project! Remember everything is weather dependent -- so if there's a snowstorm, tsunami, monsoon or bomb cyclone, these plans will be altered.
Click here for more coverage of the Casey Arborway Project by Jamaica Plain News.
This information is all provided by the Massachusetts Department of Transportation. There will be signage to guide drivers during the following changes and drivers who must travel through the affected area should remain aware of updated traffic patterns, reduce speeds and use caution.
Starting at 10 am on Friday, January 26, crews will shift traffic in Jamaica Plain so that the westbound Arborway will be in its final alignment between South and Washington Street.
The following changes will go into effect when the westbound Arborway is shifted into its final alignment:
- Westbound traffic will be discontinued on New Washington Street.
- Westbound left turns to go from the Arborway to South Street southbound (towards Roslindale) will be prohibited at the intersection of Arborway/South Street.
- Drivers seeking to make the left turn from the Arborway to South Street southbound will:
- Continue through the intersection;
- Proceed to the western median U-turn;
- Reverse direction using the median U-turn;
- Proceed to the intersection of Arborway/South Street and turn right onto South Street southbound.
Work on the permanent bicycle and pedestrian pathways will continue throughout the traffic shifts.
Once these changes are in place, all east and westbound left turns at Arborway/South Street and Arborway/Washington Street will be processed by the median U-turns. The only exception will be as follows:
- MBTA buses will have a dedicated lane to turn left from the Arborway westbound onto Washington Street southbound (toward Hyde Park Avenue) to access the lower busway at Forest Hills Station.
- All other vehicles will be prohibited from this lane during peak commuting hours. An electric sign mounted on the traffic signal will indicate when this lane is legally available to general traffic.
Also, here's a look back at what's been accomplished recently and what's coming up.
Since December 29 to January 19, the project has:
- Reopened the Arborway Carriage Road on its final alignment to two way traffic between South Street and Centre Street;
- Continued finalization of bicycle and pedestrian facilities;
- Continued construction of the mixing zone and bicycle accommodations to connect Washington Street east (towards Franklin Park) of Forest Hills Station to the completed cycling accommodations leading to Shea Square on the West Roxbury Courthouse side of the Arborway; and,
- Completed repairs to the tunnel box at Forest Hills Station to allow the westbound (towards the Arboretum) Arborway to be placed on its final alignment.
Throughout the coming weeks the upper busway, foundations for the new canopy will be installed.
During the week of January 29 the following work is scheduled:
- Between Washington Street and the eastern median U-turn adjacent to the West Roxbury courthouse:
- Finalization of the permanent alignment of the westbound Arborway to provide its final three lane cross-section opposite Orchardhill Road and the West Roxbury courthouse.
- Installation of permanent traffic signal wiring
- Removal of New Washington Street for its conversion into the new northern plaza for Forest Hills Station and Southwest Corridor Park.
During the week of February 5 the following work is scheduled:
- The ongoing removal of New Washington Street for its conversion into the new northern plaza for Forest Hills Station and the Southwest Corridor Park.