Editor’s note: Author Susan Cibulsky is a member of the Stonybrook Neighborhood Association’s Washington Street Corridor Subcommittee.
PLAN: JP/ROX is about the future of the Washington Street corridor. The Boston Planning and Development Agency’s (BPDA) PLAN: JP/ROX proposes vastly increased density between Forest Hills, Egleston Square, and Jackson Square, which threatens the character, diversity, and quality of life of neighborhoods along Washington Street and Columbus Avenue. Current infrastructure cannot sustain such increased density, yet infrastructure expansion is not accounted for. Moreover, PLAN: JP/ROX does not provide for the creation of enough truly affordable housing.
The Stonybrook Neighborhood Association (SNA) agrees that Boston needs more housing. Toward that end, we have worked with developers, through many hours of neighbors’ volunteered time, for BPDA approval of large residential projects (former Flanagan & Seaton site; 76 Stonley Road). However, PLAN: JP/ROX needs further refinement to meet its stated goals of guiding balanced growth and maintaining neighborhood character.
The BPDA has responded to some neighborhood concerns, for example, by:
- Removing the density bonus area (DBA) from Stedman Street
- Reducing the 15-story DBA at Washington and Arborway
- Reducing maximum height on Green Street from 5 to 4 stories
The SNA asks the city to make additional improvements:
- Increase the proportion of new housing that is affordable; make affordable units more affordable
- Reduce maximum height to 4 stories on Washington Street abutting Union Avenue
- Make 15-story buildings contingent on transportation study and better design guidelines
- Establish transportation, stabilization, and good jobs plans
Here is how you can help:
- Attend the public meeting and ask BPDA to make these improvements. After multiple postponements, the BPDA Board will be asked to vote on the Plan soon.
The next public meeting for PLAN: JP/ROX is:
Wednesday, January 18, 2017, 5:30-8:30 pm
Anna M. Cole Community Center, Mildred C. Haley Apartments
10 Lamartine Street Extension, Jamaica Plain
- Submit a comment by 5 pm on January 25, 2017: http://tinyurl.com/JP-plan-final